Mr Michael Lovis, Director and Principal Investigator at Lovis Forensic Investigation Ltd, is a Consultant Forensic Engineer and Expert Witness.
Mike applies expertise and knowledge of materials science to the forensic investigation of engineering incidents, often to determine causation, and which are, or may become, the subject of legal disputes. He investigates cases involving mechanical and materials failures, including metals, polymers, composites, glasses and ceramics, which typically involve laboratory examinations and analysis.
Mike provides independent and impartial Expert Witness advice to insurers, loss adjusters, legal clients and commercial/industrial organisations. He has provided evidence in both criminal and civil cases, including as a Single Joint Expert, relating to the following areas:
- Mechanical, metallurgical and non-metallic materials (polymer, composite, rubber, glass and ceramic materials) based investigations
- Forensic investigation of engineering incidents and personal injury accidents for commercial, legal and insurance clients
- Forensic investigations both on-site and laboratory based
- Component failure analysis, including expertise in fractography and electron microscopy (SEM)
- Investigations into the cause of damage to equipment and machinery
- Incidents involving the escape of water, the escape of oil or the escape of other fluids such as gases
- Product liability investigations
- Fatal and serious accidents resulting in HSE and/or local authority investigation and potential prosecution
- Marine-related failure and incident investigations requiring expertise in mechanical engineering, metallurgy or materials science/materials engineering